View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Diesel User

616 timing chain R&R ... new ideas?

I read removing GPs will ease the process of timing chain replacement because you're eliminating compression. What about taking out the rocker arm assemblies also? It seems that taking the load off the cam shaft would make turning the crank super easy. especially since it might be my GF giving me a hand to keep tension on the chain(s) while I roll in the new one. I'm just worried that one of the valve springs could pop the shaft backward and the chain would jump teeth .

One other thought I had was to make a guide like some have made. I have access to all the .80" aluminum I want at work. Would this be strong enough if it was riveted on the seamed side, or should I just take off the rocker arms for better chances?

I've also read about cranking the engine over slowly before starting so the new chain can soak in some oil first. Out of curiosity, has anyone tried soaking it the night before installing new one?
Thanks.

working on: aux electric fuel pump, coolant/fuel heat exchanger/filter head, afterglow, low oil pressure buzzer/LED