View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstan View Post
I know I may incur some wrath for saying this, but: around here where I live, these 123s are rather rare. If I see one for sale that I can afford (less than about $1k), I buy it, as was in both my cases, sight unseen. If it's been in Nebraska, it's got rust on it. Ask me how I know.......read below -

If I pull up a CL page in, for example, CHICAGO, and search for a diesel mercedes, there's lots of them.

Here in Omaha, you can search and search and - nothing, for weeks.
Our family owned 3 MB diesels while we lived in Omaha 1)220D and 2) 240Ds - All 3 bought brand new, and all 3 rusted-out. The last 240D, a '77 went to MB diesel rust heaven - after 300K miles of service in Nebraska + Iowa salt/chemicals. Too bad, because the engine was still in great condition for it's miles. The previous 2) went to fruitcake-land out on the west coast where they garnered big bucks + were in high demand at the time.

We could never deal with old man Morton in the '50s-'60s when he owned the MB franchise in Omaha. I remember the old coot when my Dad took me with him while shopping for an MB when I was a boy. We bought all of 'em from Grand Island Chrysler - Mercedes-Benz in GI, Nebraska. I bought my '99 E300TD from Premier Motors - the predecessor of MB of Omaha. After Ol' Smiley Jim Earp sold the MB franchise back to MBUSA for a small fortune at the time. You are correct - there just aren't a lot of MBs in Omaha. Never were either. However, I've never seen so many Jeeps in one place in my life. Omaha is a Jeep-town for sure!

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 02-10-2010 at 01:40 PM.