View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim16671836 View Post
I can get you a good used one from a wrecked running car but I need a picture and a location on the car... Jim
The ETA (Electronic Throttle Actuator) is located on the top of the engine block, between the manifolds. If you were to take the black plastic engine/air filter cover off, you'll see a round metal piece with a screen on top. That's the MAF (mass airflow sensor). That senses the air volume going into the ETA. The MAF is attached to the ETA by a rubber collar held on to each with a metal clamp/strap.

It's tough to get loosen the two clamps and can be even tougher to get the rubber collar off, but doable. They are 7mm hex and you can also use a Phillips or flathead. I'm not a very accomplished DIY'er and I've done it a couple of times. Once the MAF is off, the only thing holding the ETA down are 4 5mm hex/allen head bolts. You'll need to take off the ETA's harness/cable where it connects to the car's electrical (easy) and then also disconnect a hose at the back of the ETA. What I did was unplug the ETA, lift it from the left (while facing the back of the car), take off the hose at the back of the ETA, then remove the ETA. With the right tools it should take about 30-45 minutes, at most. A good mechanic should be able to do it 15-20 minutes, with the right tools.

I found a 7mm flex socket, extender and 1/4" ratchet worked for the MAF straps and a 3/8" ratchet with a 6" wobble extension and 5mm allen/hex driver did the trick.

I could not find the instructions for this I used a few years back, but recall someone suggesting you buy the 4 bolts with the 5mm hex on the ETA before you reinstall as the old ones may not go back in well.

Hope this helps.

I'd send a photo, but am having an issue getting pictures to PC (no cable...).

Joe

Joey

'88 560SL Pearl Black/Java 152K
'94 E320 Anthracite/Grey 89K

Previously:
'94 E420 Black/Bamboo
'90 300E
'71 280SEL 4.5

Last edited by jkazzoun; 02-14-2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: spelling (again)