View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 07:04 PM

Three Day Oil Change

Finally went to change the oil in the blue thing today. Ordered the filter from a local parts house Saturday, picked it up this morning, along with two gallons of Delo. Jacked up and supported car. Found out I didn't have the right size Allen to get the plug out. I know I rigged something up last time I changed the oil (summer of '08), but couldn't remember how I did it. So I lowered the car and went to NAPA to get 14mm Allen wrench. No joy. Proceeded down the road to Ace Hardware. No joy. Then I went to the other side of town to Harbor Freight. They didn't have it as a single item, so I ended up buying an Allen socket set that includes the one I want. List price $13, but I happen to know one of the cashiers there, and she hooked me up with a discount. I managed to get out of there for a hair over eleven bucks.

Next, I returned home, jacked up and supported the car again, and picked up where I left off. Drained oil, replaced plug, decided the oil filter location was chosen by some old Nazi who was still mad about losing the war and wanted to make life difficult for Americans. Accessed filter from the top. Checked those extra seals that don't come in the filter kit. All bad. This time I left the 250 jacked up and took the filter housing and bad seals to NAPA to see if they had anything that matched. No joy. The clerk at NAPA suggested I try a local German car shop called Valley Wagon. Closed (for President's Day??).

So I returned home and called the stealership. The parts guy there said he was going to email me an exploded view of the filter assembly. While I was wating for that, I did some research on this site. Apparently Phil has to special order them, since they aren't listed and a part number search returned nothing. I finally get my exploded view from MB of Reno. Parts are on order, and will be here Wednesday afternoon.

An oil change on my W123's takes 20-30 minutes depending on how fast I decide to work that day.

83 300D Turbo with manual conversion, early W126 vented front rotors and H4 headlights 400,xxx miles
08 Suzuki GSX-R600 M4 Slip-on 22,xxx miles
88 Jaguar XJS V12 94,xxx miles. Work in progress.