View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 03:17 PM

1985 300D vacuum crazyness.

Hey everyone, I just got a 1985 300D, I believe it's federal and not California because it has a federal emissions tag that doesn't mention CA in the drivers door.

Anyways, I used to have a 1983 300D so I'm fairly competent with vacuum on that car, but this 1985 is a whole different beast. It only fairly resembles the 1983.

So I just got this car and the car drives wonderfully but the vacuum is a mess. Looking at the schematics posted on this forum and looking at other photos on this forum, my vacuum is all wrong. The problem is, the 1985 has very few resources on this forum comparatively. And the photos and diagrams are horrible quality, my eyes just can't decipher so many details.

I am uploading one photo from my car with 4 easy to see problems, but honestly I think the whole thing is hooked up wrong. I'm also linking to a Picasa Web Album with a few high res photos for people to look at.

http://picasaweb.google.com/applyresistance/Car?authkey=Gv1sRgCOPD2fr6073k2AE&feat=directlink

Okay, in the attached photo, I circled four problems. In green is a line going nowhere but coming from the bottom of the blue saucer. I believe it should hook up to a "switchover valve, vacuum transducer" according to the diagrams. Problem is, I don't know what the "switchover valve, vacuum transducer" is. My only guess is that it is behind the brake booster closer to the driver's side.

In blue, I believe is the vacuum control valve, but with nothing hooked up to the top. The diagram shows that a green damper should be hooked up and then that to something else, not sure about though.

In red, is a green damper which is just looped around. This should probably go to the vacuum control valve, but then there is an open spot on that four way connector.

In yellow is a green line that is not hooked up to anything. On my old car that was the a/c vents. Is that still true? Where should that hook up? To the same four way connector as the doors right? I believe my four way connector for the doors has the line that goes to the tranny, which doesn't seem right to me.

Ok, any help would be appreciated. I would most appreciate is someone with a 1985 car could take high res photos of everything in their car which is correct and share with me.

Thanks!

David
Attached Thumbnails
1985 300D vacuum crazyness.-img_1690-2-.jpg