View Single Post
Old 07-12-2002, 02:28 PM
Thumbs up I heard they are on a budget now...

I have heard from different sources (here and car magazines) saying that newer MBs, W202 and over, were developed/produced with a more rigid budget than before. They said earlier MBs were developed with a more liberal budget and then given a price. This is why the late SL was said to be the last of the true MBs. Also that is why you see such a big difference in quality between the W124 and the next generation E ('96-'02). Anyhow, I still prefere an MB over other cars in the market. Perhaps I am biased by my background (IE/Human Factors/Usability), but I strongly believe MBs are very well desiged cars, and contained many well thought features with a strong concern for the users. I just don't see this in most cars.

On a side note, my father works at a Rolls/Bentley dealer and says a lot of the new models have to be fixed right off the boat, and all sorts of stuff goes wrong.

"Other above-average five-year quality improvements include American Isuzu (39%), Mitsubishi Motor Sales (38%) and DaimlerChrysler (27%)." J.D. Power and Associates 2002 Initial Quality StudySM
'02 C240
'00 LR Discovery
'72 280SE
'67 280SL

'79 280E sold (RIP)
'86 300E sold
'87 300SDL sold
'90 Laforza sold
'95 320SE sold
'98 ML 320 (sold)