View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Diesel User

butterfly and EGR associated vac lines on W123's

I've been doing some reading and wondering about the butterfly valve on the 123's. I know at least the EGR equipt ones had the butterfly valves but did the older ones as well? The reason for asking; I was going to remove it on my 82 240D (already disabled the EGR), but I wondered for a second if it would increase the possibility of a runaway? So if the older ones ('81 and older i think) didn't have it, did they have more instances of runaways to anyone's knowledge?

There is a vacuume check valve in front of the valve cover also, what does that valve "indicate" to the EGR in its operation? And the metal valve on the passenger fender ... is that just a one-way valve? I was going to remove all that and the black box anyway (standard transmission) to make it easier to work on the vehicle, but I was just curious about the vac lines and most especially the butterfly valve it having anything to do with engine protection.

Thanks

working on: aux electric fuel pump, coolant/fuel heat exchanger/filter head, afterglow, low oil pressure buzzer/LED