View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Formerly of Car Hell

Not a bad job, done it twice.

As always thoroughly degrease the leak area and drive to confirm it's not the lower pan gasket or other some other spot. The amount of oil & scale on the front of the block and around the balancer has warranted a barbecue brush and purple power in all 3 of the 61x's I've been that close too.

Is the balancer nasty or corroded? How are the cap screws? The horror stories I've read seem to result from a botched prior install. The galled bolt somebody had probably resulted from someone having to overtighten the bolt to mash the balancer back on. My bolt came out fine after I broke it with a 1/2" bar resting on the frame and bumped the starter.

Order the spacer ring as well. If the wear band on the spacer is significantly off center, you may be able to flip it around.

I have a puller I can mail you if the spacer doesn't want to come off for you.

I have Bent Magma's diy recipe from *********.com, thorough, useful, a few comments I could add. Happy to lend it to you, then you can buy parts from Phil.

My advice:
Pull fan, radiator & shroud, shift the condensor up, and you can look right and the shaft w/out a mirror

Soak the balancer to 275 *F pick it up in your oven mits, run outside, line it up and slide it on. You have about 1/2 second to get it right once metal is next to metal. Dry ice on the crankshaft might give you more playtime, might damage the seal too. 1st time I did the job I got it right on 1st attempt, 2nd time it was like the 3rd or 4th. If you don't feel it slide home and see it seated well & lined up perfect, pull it off, repeat.

A friend told me he read a test of penetrants, best one over WD40, liquid wrench, PB blaster was 50/50 Acetone & ATF. Presoak and don't crap your pants till the big bolt is uncooperative.

All things are burning, know this and be released.

82 Benz 240 D, Kuan Yin
12 Ford Escape 4wd

You're four times
It's hard to
more likely to
concentrate on
have an accident
two things
when you're on
at the same time.
a cell phone.

www.kiva.org It's not like there's anything wrong with feeling good, is there?