Thread: Deck stop lamp
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 09:08 AM
MB, love..hate..love..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAP View Post
I agreee the 88-89 light does look better. It appears smaller, will it cover the existing holes in the deck?
No. The 88 - 89 mounts on the rear of the deck lid, as opposed to the 86 - 87 mounting at the front of the deck lid.
I installed a nice NOS 88 - 89 light on my '86 560SL, after the original (cracked case) lost the lens on a bumpy country road. Completely different light housings. If you find a good 86 - 87 light, be prepared for cracking eventually.
I welded up the original holes and mounted the new style light where it was originally placed on the 88 - 89 lid. I forget the exact dimensions, but it must be placed centrally a certain distance from the edge in toward the front, so it will look right when viewed from the rear at eye level.
You'll need to drill out an access hole in the support frame of the deck lid for the bulb holder, IIRC, plus of course new holes for the mounting bolts. For me, it was an easy weekend job, not counting the bodywork to weld/fill/paint the lid to get rid of the original holes.