View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 05:28 PM
is thinning the herd

I do not have a trap oxidizer, the car has not had one for a very long time. The previous owner had it from 140k-175k and it didnt have one during his ownership, and the owner before him maintained it at a friends shop from about 100k to 140k, it never had a trap oxidizer. The owner before that gentleman was the original owner, so the trap oxidizer was removed in the first 100k miles.

In the past 30k miles the car has gotten a rebuilt transmission and a rebuilt turbo, R134 compressor and other related items and waterpump. Within the past 10k it has had front pads, calipers, and rotors. Bilstein HD shocks, new tires, new rear control arm bushings (squeaked like hell), the diff re-sealed along with new differential mounts. Within the past 1000 new radiator, new fan, fan clutch, new front wheel bearings and a few other things.

The tachometer does work, no CEL or ABS light. The idle seems about right but to be honest I haven't driven it in a while so I can't remember. The tach doesn't fluctuate by much, just the whole car shakes. Its not an obvious like 500rpm bouncing up and down.

I've put Diesel911 in a couple tanks to try to dry it out and it keeps coming back. I have a feeling there is a pinhole or something in the tank.

The car does shift very hard. It got slightly better with the new rear diff bushings but still pretty hard.

I'm sort of new to Mercedes, this is the first one titled in my name but my father has had a dozen or so and I take care of a friends collection.

I've also got a 1992 300D 2.5Turbo. The steering and front end feels much lighter on the '92 than on the '87. Should they drive as differently as they do? The '92 is very nice around town, very easy to steer. The '87 isn't *hard* to drive but definitely takes a little more muscle around town. However the '87 really "lays" in the road at highway speeds and is a fabulous highway car. The '92 is down on power but I think thats a fueling issue, or at worst a turbo (202,000 miles), but the '92 is another thread for another time. The '87 kind of drags off line the line from a dead stop but has a lot of power up in the rpms (hoping my tune up will help it a bit down low), the '92 jumps off the line and then looses all of its oomph at higher rpms. I understand the '92 is the 5cyl 602 motor so it could just be different feeling motors. I've never driven any other w124 diesels than these.