View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 01:39 PM
...like a shield of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
Hi Army,
You're in the Netherlands. Do you have a Euro model btw? Does it have AC or cruise. Those components may add complications to oil cooler lines r&r in a 300D. Some model/years the oil cooler lines are wide open and other model/ years they're buried.
Ah ha - that might make it more complicated for others...

I don't have AC or cruise control and yes it is a Euro model.

HOWEVER - looking at the picture of a removed OM617 engine and ancillaries in my Haynes manual it does not seem that the AC compressor would get in the way as it sits below the cooler lines at the front of the engine (in this picture anyway). I assume the cruise control unit is just above the engine shock mount (the one on the engine). I don't think this would be in the way either:-

My method was to undo the connectors at the oil filter housing - remove the shock and the bracket that holds the middle clamp. This allows the cooler lines to fall downwards and slightly forwards and then allow you to sort of hook (round the bend) the cooler lines free.

I had another look at the car today and I reckon (on my car anyway) you could probably get the cooler lines in and out without removing the radiator - but I'd recommend covering the radiator with a bit of cardboard or something to stop any unwanted damage.