View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 10:36 AM
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedbenz View Post
What am I missing here? Shouldn't connecting an ammeter directly to the + and - of a power source essentially be using the meter as a short-out between the poles (similar to laying a wrench across the battery terminals and producing a welder)? I stuck an ammeter into a household AC power strip one time just out of curiosity and ignorance. The result was that the meter tried to create a dead short between the two prongs, the resultant heat melted my positive meter lead, the power strip (one of those 6-outlet things) was fried instantly and the household breaker tripped. Isn't putting an ammeter across a dc battery causing the same effect (or at the very least, not a reliable measurement) or is this a different principle? If I'm dead wrong here then forgive me for interrupting the thread, but that seems... odd to me, unless I've missed something major. I'm not an electrical person either.

Measuring volts across a battery's + and - I understand perfectly. But I was under the impression that it was impossible to do so on an amp setting.
yeah, only do this with the key off and everything turned off on the car...
even headlights will fry your meter...
setting the meter to ma and leaving the neg cable on the battery, and hooking the meter between the battery and the positive cable will show what the clock, and anything else running is pulling. it should be around 25ma...
500ma (.5A) is a LOT

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!