View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedbenz View Post
I just replied on your other thread but I'm not sure which one you're using as a master list, etc. I'd need to hear a price first but I'm potentially in need of a pair for the 240D. One of them actually started clunking on me last weekend on the way to school. Just had it at a local shop today and they couldn't find anything wrong; the test drive was quiet. I know what I heard though, so I figure I'm bound to be in trouble before long. Sounds like somebody hammering under the back end. Intermittently of course, only after several miles at road speed.
Since the noise is not constant the cv joints or one of them just might lack lubrication. So easy to do and you will know quickly if it was the problem. First check the integrity of the existing boots. The lubrication does have to be contaiined after all.

Once the noise becomes constant in nature it is too late. Add lubricant now. You have nothing to lose. If they then stay quiet and you have the time. Switching the axles from one side to the other may still buy you many years of reliable service. You may get that anyways with just relubrication. Just a lot more with the cross switching. Your description of the problem is typical of the lack of lubrication in cv joints.

Last edited by barry123400; 03-17-2010 at 11:43 PM.