View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 04:11 PM
...like a shield of steel

OM617 Front crankshaft seal nightmare - should I re-align the upper oil pan?

G'day folks,

I've just finished changing the front crankshaft seal on my 1981 W123 300D...

I followed the instructions on the DIY links on this site and all seemed to be well - the plastic cup special tool worked a treat.

However, as the upper oil pan is not perfectly aligned with the block it was very difficult getting the seal to fit. It went in - in the end - but the outside of the seal ripped. I've finished the job and so far there is no leak but I guess it won't last for ever!

So here is the question - is it a good idea to loosen the bolts on the upper oil pan and re-align it so there is no longer a misalignment of about 0.5mm (before fitting another front crankshaft seal)?

I guess I'm most likely to replace one leak with another - but you never know perhaps someone else has had this trouble and has done a fix before?

Here are some pictures that if you look carefully show the badly aligned joint.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may give.
Attached Thumbnails
OM617 Front crankshaft seal nightmare - should I re-align the upper oil pan?-old-crankshaft-seal.jpg   OM617 Front crankshaft seal nightmare - should I re-align the upper oil pan?-old-crankshaft-seal-removed.jpg   OM617 Front crankshaft seal nightmare - should I re-align the upper oil pan?-old-crankshaft-seal-removed2.jpg