View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 08:41 PM

lost a injector line, possible engine damage

hello, first off I'm new here, was searching the internet for a fix to my new to me 1970 mercedes Unimog with a mb OM352 engine. I'm also over at benzworld

Was a fresh rebuild when I bought it, the injector feed for #2 cylinder was loose it turns out, on the drive home it pumped the oil sump full of diesel. (it's under the valve cover)

ran decent, couldn't hear it miss a beat. heard it make some strange noises just as I got to my street, shut it off, towed it home. there was 3 inches more oil in the engine then when I left for home, a 5 hour drive, and a lot dripping down the front of the engine and sprayed all over.

changed the oil and fired up, no noises at idle, some at higher rpms. I retorqued the cylinder head and adjusted the valves as the sounds sounded more like ticks, now it smokes and makes a regular hammering sound, but doesnt seem like every revolution, only every other, making me think it's something to do with that #2cylinder. Again, i could be wrong. Felt the exhaust manifold, 2 seems a lot cooler then the others.

I was told leaky injectors make horrible sounds, I'm thinking tomorrow i'll pull and swap 2 and 6 see if problem moves over.

Could the injector or pump have been damaged by 2 not having any pressure in the lines? took 5 full turns to tighten the fitting