View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug183 View Post
Ok...here is a a definite newbie questions and a small warning about the FEQs. I noticed today that the outer joint connected to the tire was 'loose'. I mean it kind of rattled in the wheel bearing. I popped off the center cap of the wheel and checked the center bolt to the axel and it was tight, but the outer joint was still 'loose'.

1.) I am not certain but I am pretty sure, it shouldn't be loose right?

2) As a fix on each side I swapped back to the older center axle bolt and spacer. I did steal the new washer as the the old washer was kind of bent inwards. I tightened the bolts back down and poof! No more 'looseness.' Is this correct?

3) One last question. Try as I might, I could not get the inner spacer that was previously installed to fit on the right inner joint and also push on the C clip - there was simply not enough of the groove to get that darn clip on. The left side was extremely tight with the old inner spacer but I did manage to jam the C clip in there but it seems like that side (left) clip wants to almost pop out. Am I ok here on both sides? Did I miss something? Everybody says that the spacers must be used but it didn't seem possible. However, this was my first time doing it so its entirely possible I missed something. If I grab the inner joints and practically sway on them (do a pull up and I am 200lbs) they don't budge.

Thanks
Doug

Did I do this right? (and yes, I should have gone with rebuilt but I had already got the FEQs delivered....)
They make different sized spacers to adjust it. You are supposed to be able to get the C clip installed completely without any issures and after which have no end/side play on the Axle.
Some members have has trouble with they way the Imported from Asia Axles fit on the inside of the spacer due to the machined radius where the Shaft of the Axle blends into the larger part of the Axle. (There is a Thread concerning this.)
I am not sure which member it was fruitecakesa or funola; said how he measured so he could get the right sized Axles Spacer. After which he whent to a Machine Shop and they reduced the thickness for him on a Surface Grinder (a Magnetic Chuck held it down). He also opened up the interior hole so that it would go over the Radius on the Axle shaft.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=262186

But, even a Genuine Mercedes Axle might need a different Spacer. The Dealer has the different sized spacers.

To answer the Origional Qustion. I put what was Kragen Auto Parts Axles rebuilt by Car Done on my Car and have had no problems for about 2 years. At the time the were $75 each (the price has gone up since then) and the New Asian import Axles where not widly available.

Last edited by Diesel911; 03-21-2010 at 12:53 PM.