View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 09:49 PM

ALDA, Overboost Protection Relay confusion (84 300SD)

Okay, so I've spent all afternoon looking at the forum, reading different posts relating to the ALDA system. I saw the ALDA boost system service article on Dieselgiant's page. This link on the forum was also very informative.

Russ refers to what is apparently called the Overboost Protection Relay (OPR) as the "switchover valve". My problem is that I can't find the OPR. Does it look different on a w126 than it does in Dieselgiant's photos (which I assume are of a w123)? Where is the OPR located on a 126?

See attached photos. Is that plastic device the OPR? If so, it looks like it has been disconnected (by PO). Does that mean the ALDA has been disabled? There is still a transparent line going from the ALDA to the banjo bolt on the back of the intake manifold.

I'm not interested in removing/disabling the ALDA (if it hasn't been already), however I'd like to clean the banjo bolt just to get any gunk out of it. Do I just clean the banjo bolt on the back of the intake manifold? What about the one that goes into the ALDA?

My car was originally purchased in CA, so I assume it's the "California model" as opposed to the Federal model. Not sure if this makes a difference with regards to ALDA.

My car runs pretty well, and pretty much all maintenance is done by my independent mechanic. I've done diesel purges on it and other minor items (replacing fuses), however it makes me a little bit nervous to start messing with or modifying stuff that may just cause me problems down the line.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated...
Attached Thumbnails
ALDA, Overboost Protection Relay confusion (84 300SD)-p1030520.jpg   ALDA, Overboost Protection Relay confusion (84 300SD)-p1030521.jpg   ALDA, Overboost Protection Relay confusion (84 300SD)-p1030529.jpg   ALDA, Overboost Protection Relay confusion (84 300SD)-p1030525.jpg