Thread: 79 450 SL 64K m
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 12:44 AM

79 450 SL 64K m

Hello all. I wanted to offer this up to the forum first:

I'm in Atlanta, GA and recently became the owner of a semi-project '79 450 SL. I bought it with the intent of working on it with my dad, but alas, neither of us have the time, nor will we soon have it. I feel like it's a waste to keep the car sitting in the driveway, when someone else could be restoring it to its original lustre. Here's what I know about the car:

64000 original miles
3rd owner (me-clocking zero miles)
2nd owner (clocked ca 5000 m in 25 yrs)
red on tan

What it needs (that I'm aware of):
fuel pump (car does not currently run due to the present state of the fuel pump)
AC compressor
a paint job
tires

The car had been sitting, without running, for a year with the 2nd owner, and I've had it now 6 months. I put a battery in it; the electrical seems to be in good shape, but I could not get the engine to turn over ( I believe the starter has gone bad from sitting for so long). The body is straight with no dents and only surface rust from the peeling paint. Overall, the interior is in good shape. Some cracks on the dashboard, but the leather is in pretty good shape-needs a hardcore cleaning. There is one rip in the leather of the side wall of the 'back seat'. This has always been my dream car, and will be beautiful when restored. I just don't have the time to do it right now. I'm asking $1500 OBO. That's is what I paid for it. I don't want to make anything off the sale, I just want to find someone who will give the car back its glory.

I've attached a few photos that were small enough to upload. PM for more pics or to see the car.

Caitlin

Last edited by Caite; 03-22-2010 at 12:12 PM.