View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Chairman of my Benz

LATCH systems should never be retro fitted to an older car, unless the car's manufacturer has an approved LATCH kit for sale. As noted above seat belts, when properly used on the car seat, do a better job of securing the seat then the latch system. It's just missing the convenience factor.

The following link is definitely a procedure that should not be followed.

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-LATCH-system-retrofit/

Excerpt from the site... Again this should not be followed. In the case of this fellow, If the car has no seat belts, have seat belts installed professionally.

Quote:
Cars made after 2002 have a LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) system in place from the factory, but there aren't any kits available to retrofit older cars. My car, a 1960 Ford Fairlane 500, didn't even come with seat belts, so I decided to custom fabricate a LATCH system of my own to enable the safe transport of my daughter while avoiding the expense and hassle of getting seatbelts put in.

And this is definitely a no no!
Quote:

Attached Thumbnails
Child Seat LATCH System Retrofit 1991 E300-diy-latch-system-retrofit.jpg   Child Seat LATCH System Retrofit 1991 E300-buy-hardware.jpg   Child Seat LATCH System Retrofit 1991 E300-secure-bolts.jpg   Child Seat LATCH System Retrofit 1991 E300-modifying-car-seat-latch-belt.jpg   Child Seat LATCH System Retrofit 1991 E300-install-car-seat.jpg