Thread: overfilled oil
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 12:12 PM
ĦAy Jodido!

wow

In my short time here, it's become apparent that the best way to start a long, winding, divisive thread is to make oil it's topic.
Count me as one of those whose car likes to be at the half way mark on the dipstick. When I first got it, about 4k miles ago, I was fanatical trying to keep it at the full mark and quickly became concerned that it was using too much oil. When I finally realized that the oil would eventually level out at the half way mark and stay there for a long time without going lower, I stopped worrying. My main concerns with this recent oil fill were potential damage to the motor, and excess smoke from burning off that excess oil. I see now that while it's probably not a huge issue and it makes sense that part of the longevity of these motors is their relatively forgiving nature, my personal version of the 616 is happiest at the midpoint, smokes less and uses less oil. Draining a bit out wasn't that big of a deal, and if it happens again I'll do the same. I really enjoyed reading all the tech stuff here too. The breadth of knowledge (never mind opinions) on this forum is awesome.
thanks guys!
04 Honda Element AWD
1985 F150 XLT 4x4, 351W with 270k miles, hay hauler
1997 Suzuki Sidekick 4x4
1993 Toyota 4wd Pickup 226K and counting