View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 12:52 PM
W123 Forever!

Location: So. Cal., born and raised. Never left, though I fantasize about it often.
Thanks, SkidRow Joe. I think it was fair, and I would not have gotten there without help from these boards.

Would I have been able to sell my car for $7K right now in So. Cal. -- probably not. $6K range, almost assuredly. It was in beautiful shape: second owner, full service records, 180K documented miles, totally stock, etc. (Though the appraiser did ding me a little for my filthy undercarriage and engine compartment. When I find another car, I'm going to have to get with you guys to learn to maintain these properly.)

The appraisal clause definitely benefits the insured, since they rely heavily on what current cars are selling for--not completed sales. And since the insurance considers these amounts "small change," they are unlikely to kick up a third-party fuss.

I just looked at a 82 300D at a small local dealer. He was asking $3,500. The car was an absolute mess. Took three times to start it up. It had cosmetic issues galore, too. He said the dash had a "small crack" by the AC vents. There were two cracks, in fact, positively cavernous. I don't think Leatherique would have cut it! Lots of bits were missing, too. It was clear the car was very poorly treated.

I am sure he'll sell it, but I don't have the chops or the garage for such a project. Too bad. It was really cute from 50 feet away--cream yellow on BLACK. It was the black interior that got me out the door to see the car.

Past cars:

1985 300D, Glorious anthracite on black. Gracie. (R.I.P.)
The rest were crappy--including a 1970 Orange Gremlin.