View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 05:56 PM

SoCal is normally hog heaven for clean Mercedes of this era. but don't for get about Northern California, I'm thinking the bay area. there are some nice cars up here. A friend of mine on a budget picked up an 85 300D for $1500, I know it would not compare to your old car, but I bet its nicer then the one you looked at at that dealership. I have another friend who is a Mercedes "jack of all trades" he will do everything from change your oil in your driveway for you to shop for cars for people. He really know his old Mercedes Diesels. He looked at a car for a customer at one of the local used car lots about a month ago, and they wanted $3,500 for it. he said it was maybe worth $800. It had been repainted and looked real nice on the lot, but opening the hood changed all that. Suppose what I'm saying is dealerships are going to screw you. and if you look you will find a gem, in any price range.

Another friend of mine lost his 300D in the same way you did... T-Boned. He was walking into the grocery store one night and an old couple pulled up in a car that was a dead ringer for his car, only in nicer shape and with extremely low miles. He walked up to the old gentleman and told him that he really liked his car. Seems the old man was at the store looking for a "for sale" sign for the car. my friend told him he would like to buy it, but his budget was tight. The old man must have really liked my friend, because he sold him the car for $1,500!!! and I can honestly say its at the very least its a $6,500 car.

Keep your chin up. they are out there!