View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post
Thanks everybody.

Fred -- Was it "fiddly" or more time-consuming? Upon reinstall did you have any issues fitting everything back in? Did anything NOT fit back in "quite" right? My only concern is upon re fitment because I understand 20 years in the sun is bound to have warped the plastics. I definitely want it to look like it had never came out.

I should be expected to replace -- Evap, Heater core, Drier?, Vac pods...anything else? I want to do the job right...$ is not so much of an issue since I will be doing it myself.
It was fiddly and time consuming. I went by the detailed write up that I found on this site as well as the repair CD. I had no problems with dried out plastic that was warped or broken. After you get everything apart you will look at your "baby" and wonder if it will ever look the same again!

Actual removal of the condenser/heater housing assembly was tricky and took some force to break the sealant, and finagling to get it out.

The evaporator normally comes with a new expansion valve attached. The drier is inexpensive and should be replaced when ever the system is opened up. I bought all new o-rings for the a/c from the local MB dealer. Didn't want to take a chance with possibly not having the correct size.

All of my vacuum pods were working so I chose not to replace them. I also didn't replace the heater core as I hadn't heard of them being a problem.

This is a good time to add a little oil to the blower motor bearings.

Take your time when reassembling the dash as there are a lot of electrical connections and vacuum hoses that must be reconnected. Would be a good idea to take a lot of pictures so you can remember how wires are routed.

Very satisfying job when it is done and everything works as it should.