View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM. View Post
Well, if you sell the car with the problem disclosed, AS-IS. You should still be able to get OK money for it. One cylinder that burns a little oil may not be a huge issue to someone. Or some people would probably just do the job themselves and save the $$$ of taking it to a mechanic.
This really has me stumped. Anytime I get the "smoke" it only lasts for about 3 or four minutes and clears up. Maybe twice in a one hour drive on city roads below 60km.hr. Never happens at highway speeds. It can't be rings or it would be continuous. (I've had cars with broken rings and know what to look for) There seems to be a part of the cycle when I come to a full stop for instance waiting for a light to change. A steady blue smoke stream will billow out of the exhaust and go away within minutes. The misfire has me stymied. Today and yesterday it was constant, after plug cleaning even. I went for a 30km run today on the highway and it was with me all the way in one direction. On my return it cleared up completely without so much as cleaning the plug. Since none of this is constant and I don't have much experience with the Benz motor I can't pinpoint what's happening.

Main questions here is, if a plug is misfiring, could oil accumulate in that cylinder or are they independent? A bad lifter would be noisy - there is no valve noise whatsoever. No piston or bearing noise. When plug #6 is removed it smells gassy and has a black buildup of baked on wet carbon.

Lastly, the duty cycle shows me running very rich overall and the other thread we're in about having problems with my FPR snd OVP with low idle.
I posted a followup just now to that thread as well.