View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS View Post
I'm on my second Lexus LS. My first was a 2002 LS430 and my newest one is a 2004 LS430. Yes, I'm very much a car guy and yes, the LS is less engaging than the BMW. But the LS doesn't break and the BMW does - expensively at that. For me, I drive 140 miles a day and what I need wanted was a large sedan, rear wheel drive, dead reliable, and V8 - the LS is perfect and it's such a great highway cruiser that it recharges my batteries rather than expends them when driving (I have many other cars for that job).

I often get silly looks when I say this to people, but the LS is awfully similar to my w126 when my w126 was the ultimate sedan back in the late '80s. They're both large sedans; they're both rear wheel drive; they're both dead reliable; they're both V8s; they're both fast for sedans; they're both excellent highway cruisers. As a testament to the w126, when I drive that car to work once/twice a week, it's about 90% as good as my LS and it's 25 years old. Amazing craftsmanship; I don't expect my Lexus to be that good in 25 years, but I won't own it then so who cares!

B/w the 740 and the LS, the LS is a winner by a longshot; it's why I've owned two of them. It's the most reliable RWD sedan on the market, and although it's not as engaging as the German cars, it never breaks which means I always get to work and back without incident. The LS is perfect for the job I ask of it.
That's exactly why my 75 year old mom drives buicks.