View Single Post
Old 07-22-2002, 01:20 PM

Exclamation Rental Fee Too High

Brian,

That's too much. Is there some reason that standard spring compressors won't work on this car? (I hope that's not the case, because I plan to use some to remove my springs this weekend.)
The attached photo is for a set from Sears -- they cost $39.99 to BUY them. They require no further tools, just use your rachet to tighten and loosen. (if you have air tools, even easier)

I plan to use your method to remove most of the load from the springs, then use the spring compressor to finish the job.

It may be POSSIBLE to remove the springs without compressors, but if that spring lets go, the conseqences are unthinkable (and I'm not talking about damage to your car). The power in a loaded spring is, literally, enough to kill you!

As for Dan's suggestion of removing the whole control arm under load... are you nuts???
If your jack isn't EXACTLY centered when you begin lowering, that spring could shoot off the car like a mortar round. You wouldn't catch me within 100 feet of a car that was having this procedure done on it.

So buy the spring compressors at Sears (or from any other auto parts store) You'll be MUCH safer, and you'll save some time. And hey, in my humble opinion, $40 is a cheap life insurance policy.

Jeff Pierce
Attached Thumbnails
???NO Spring Compressor Required???-spring1.jpg  

Current Vehicles:
'92 Mercedes 190E/2.3 (247K miles/my daily driver)
'93 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon (263K miles/a family truckster with spunk)
'99 Kawasaki Concours
Gravely 8120
Previous Vehicles:
'85 Jeep CJ-7 w/ Fisher plow (226K miles)'93 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon
'53 Willys-Overland Pickup
'85 Honda 750F Interceptor
'93 Nissan Quest
'89 Toyota Camry Wagon
'89 Dodge Raider
'81 Honda CB 750F Super Sport
'88 Toyota Celica
'95 Toyota Tacoma