View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry123400 View Post
Remember this is a very heavy engine as well. Did you consider a volkswagon tdi diesel ? A lot lighter and smaller for a 17 foot boat. Far more fuel efficient as well.

I really think the tdi engine can product the same shaft horsepower with a chip.This may not even be required as the lighter weight may be an equivelency compensation alone.

As for a junkyard engine you are not even allowed to run before purchase. I would question the wisdom of that. Better to find a car that is not roadworthy yet that you can at least do some testing on the engine before purchase. Quite a project as well. No flywheel issues with the tdi but there will be some work because of the modern engine management system.
TDi is too expensive for my current budget. Plus VW already makes complete marinized packages that are drop in ready for the Mercruiser drive. Ring Power sells them... so where is the adventure and fun in that?
http://www.vwmarine.com Mastercraft uses these engines in some of their tournament ski boats.

The original engine in the boat is also VERY heavy i don't know the exact weight but i will find out. They are both iron blocks and heads, Both very stout over engineered engines. The 3.0 Mercruiser engine also has a VERY HEAVY intake and exhaust manifold combo (prob double the weight of the 617 manifolds). I am sure that there isn't much of a difference in weight between the two.
1986 325 coupe Bessie >300k Original engine(ODO Broke) sold
2006 2500HD Druamax Linda- Tows boat and looks pretty in garage thats about it