View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 10:12 PM
New Benz Owner

'77 450SL issues

Recently acquired a '77 450sl with some issues. It had been sitting for about 10 years. Now that we got her up and running, there are a few issues. One is the tach and clock. They are intermittently working. I don't understand why when the plugs in the back seem to be on all the way.

Also, I got two headrests off a 3ooD at a junkyard that are in beautiful condition. I popped the drivers side off easily and replaced it with the new one. Now, I go to the passenger side one and it will not come off. It slides up to a point and then catches like there is something that needs to be unhooked. Not getting why the driver's side was so easy to come off and the passenger's side isn't.

The window switches don't work....we tested the connectors and they seem fine so I guess(hope) it's just the switches that need replacing. Looking for working used ones because one switch from the dealer comes in at $80!!! WTF? The heater fan will not turn off unless I unplug it from the engine compartment or I pull the fuse. This makes it miserable to drive with the top on. Can't turn it off or make it blow cool air. Going to try and change out the mechanism behind the climate control faceplate and see if that does anything.

Anyone have any idea as to what could be causing these issues? Thanks in advance.

2000 SL500 - daily driver
1993 400E - project
1981 300D - sold
1982 300TD - sold
1979 450SL - sold
1977 450SL - sold