View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 01:37 AM
I am McLovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe View Post
I don't know if this helps you, but here goes.....

I run Mobil 1 in my Mercedes-Benz '99 E300TD mainly because MB came out with a bulletin that stated if you would use full-synthetic in your MB, that the engine would be 100% warranted to 150,000 miles or 10 years, which ever came first. MB had a problem with at least one lawsuit claiming that by following MB's FSS (Flexible Service Schedule) using conventional motor oil - that damage resulted from coddled oil in the crankcase. i.e. conventional motor oil was not sufficiently lubricating MB engines.
I can see where that is a good idea to go by what Mercedes say themselves. I mean they did design the car so they should know better then anyone else what is best for it. Although sometimes promoting something like that could have been one person's idea at Mercedes and they all went with it without actually testing to back it up.

A lot of things like that I don't believe unless I see it. Any motor oil company is going to claim they are the best of the best just to get sales so yeah even though it's coming from Mercedes doesn't always mean it's correct that's for sure!

86 Mercedes 300SDL - 400k+ miles