View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 02:12 AM
I am McLovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe View Post
What happened was according to the copy of the lawsuit proceedings that MBUSA mailed to me several years ago - the FSS ( Flexible Service Schedule) on cars similar to mine were supposed to measure when an oil change should take place - by means of sensors of some sort. Well, whether it was valid or not a litigant got to MB with coddled conventional motor oil in their crankcase - with a damaged/blown engine - claiming rightly or wrongly that it was MB's fault. The litigant prevailed over MB. MB then put out the mailer telling us owners that if you would switch or continue using full-synthetic motor oil - they would stand behind the engine for 10-yrs./150,000 miles. I reasoned that if I wasn't careful - my conventional motor oil may coddle, damaging my MB's enigne - so rather than take chances - I just spring for the full-synthetic for my Benz. I still think it's overkill, but I go 3-yrs./10K miles just to be safe. The car sits for literally weeks w/o being driven - which in itself using full-synthetic is a problem on start-up potentially because the oil is so slick - none remains above where gravity pulls it after one month just sitting.

An aside - I use Mobil 1 in the generator for my diesel-motorcoach. The manufacteurer (Onan) recommends staring and letting the generator run 30 minutes a month minimum, under 50% or more load to keep it exercised - if you will. I am derelict to the extent that sometimes I go 6-weeks between the exercising of the genny. Here again - it is a negative influence in the starting process of the engine with Mobil 1 - because the oil has completely withdrawn in the time frame of one month plus.

All things considered, if I used one vehicle often - I would definitely stick with Rotella T 15W-40.
That all makes a lot of sense and is definitely something to consider. I do appreciate the responses. Very informative and I'm glad you did.

86 Mercedes 300SDL - 400k+ miles