View Single Post
Old 07-23-2002, 03:25 PM

The manifolds on the m119 are a 3 piece configuration. This was done because it would be virtually impossible to remove a single piece manifold with the motor in the 124.
I have looked into getting a set of custom headers made for my car.
I emailed renntech and they told me 6 grand (WOW!!!!!) the reason the price was so high was because the motor had to be removed to install the headers.
I then went to a local shop that is know for there custom headers. I opened the hood and the workers had confused looks on there faces, thinking how hard it would be to do the job. After a long conversation with them we came to the conclusion that it would cost to much to do the job ($2500) and that the best solution would be to have the stock units "hone bored" (a process that basically sands down the inside of a cylinder to make for a bigger inside diameter). The shop could not do the job themselves but the pointed me in the correct direction to have it done. Since then I have looked at taking the headers off and I have come to the conclusion that I dont have the time (working and losing my car to have the headers sent away to be worked on) to do the job.
If I did have the work performed I would do all the labor myself, and then send the manifolds out to be worked on. If you look at the manifolds you will see that they are not the easiest to take off, I bet it would take 1+ to take one side off, and I dont know how you could fit a torque wrench in space to tighten the bolts for installation. If I chose to do this job in the future I will have them coated after they are hone bored.
I believe that if the exhaust system in the M119 was "opened up" a bit that a tremendous gain in power could be attained.
I believe this is an option to look at if one is trying to get more power out of there exhaust.
Subman
(E420 has passed away)
The best way to contat me is e-mail.