View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm thinkin, I'm thinkin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhogan View Post
http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/21/news/economy/long_term_unemployment/index.htm

if you get laid off from a six figure job, there is no rule that says you cannot take a job that pays less.

If there is 10% unemployment, that means there is 90% employment!

I suspect there is a superior attitude amongst those who claim they cannot find work after two years! Two years is a long time!

They should say instead " I cannot find work that pays the same as my old job and I refuse to accept a job that pays less".

If they say.... I say....

-There are no jobs in my area..........then move to place with jobs
-Gas is so expensive.......................then drive a car with better gas mileage
-My mortgage has to be paid............sell the house and rent
-My wife is a stay at home mom........Kelly girl time
-I have no skills other than XXXXX because that is all i know.......delivering pizza requires no skill
-We have to eat.............................time for rice and beans

My point is, the economy is tough and we all have to make adjustments. Just don't tell me there is ZERO jobs out there.
I've been unemployed for 16 months, and NOT from a six-figure job. I'm gonna play devil's advocate here - from personal and the experiences of people I know that are either unemployed or were unemployed at one time in the recent past..

- "-There are no jobs in my area..........then move to place with jobs"
"-My mortgage has to be paid............sell the house and rent"

Easily said but when you owe more on your house than the market will now bear during a sale, you're stuck..

- "-Gas is so expensive.......................then drive a car with better gas mileage"
Same as above...

My sister was unemployed in the early 90's when banking got hit for 27 months It took her that long just to find a bookkeeping job and not because she refused to take a job at less than her A.V.P. level. More often than not, potential "lower-paying" employers wouldn't hire her because they felt that since she was "over-qualified" for that job, why go through the hassle and expense of training someone like her for the job when she will most likely leave once she finds a job more in key with her experience. I know three people experiencing this same thing today....

To side with you in a sense, if you've been making six-figures for the last few years and don't have a substantial amount in an "emergency fund," then you're an idiot.