View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Elsbett you say!!

Best you have a read of

http://www.ncat.org/special/oilseeds_innovations4.php

We dont want you totally with your head in the sand.
Good Luck !!!!! You will need it
Thanks for link. I couldn't find the results of engine tear down. That study concluded nothing other than some glow plugs burnt out and combustion was not as good as diesel and you get less horse power. Well no *****. You realize that the first tank of WVO. But after 20,000 miles you also realize its not killing your engine if you do it right. I ran a 617 on single tank vegetable oil , blending with diesel at times and other times not for about 20,000 miles. Compression was the same as before i started. Car is sold now and current owners are running veg.

What we need to do is define the success metric for a single tank wvo system then we can get on to the business achieving that. There is some level of wvo use that can obviously be successful in a single tank system. It may be 50% wvo or 75% or 25% or 100%. For me success would be 100,000 miles running 75% wvo on average without destroying the engine. Would you all agree that would be a pretty successful wvo experiment?

I believe you can run a single tank system successfully. The trick is using your glow plugs a lot and keeping an eye on them and also keeping good injectors -- both of which if replaced every year would still be only be about 250.00 max doing the labor your self. When starting cold, i afterglow for about 5 minutes. I have a switch to flip my plugs off and on and trick them into a new cycle cause they think the car was turned off and was restarted. Ideally I 'd like to have warning lights for each glow plug to let me know as soon as they are burned out. And each 25,000 miles pull and pop test injectors.

It would be beneficial to blend 5% to 10% diesel or Kerosene all the time and i may do that. In winter you have to blend more and sometimes i just go straight diesel or biodiesel and consider it an opportunity to flush the system. That may go a long way to preventing problems.

I'll document my experiment here in its own thread. Compression tests , pop tests, glow plug tests ever 25,000 miles. My problem though is i have two W124s -- wagon and sedan-- and its gonna be tough to drive only one of them. I wish i could just have one car but i like em both for different reasons. So i'll convert one this month , probably the wagon first, drive it a year -- we can see the results. It will be fun.