View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 06:08 AM
dieselarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkovich View Post
then it seems like your vilification of the unemployed and unfortunate is even more of a projection than i figured.

(it's a lovely concept, this mastery of one's own destiny; sadly, such conceits are quite delusional. as evelyn waugh said of the human condition: "i see fear in a handful of a dust.)

oh, and if everyone were an entrepreneur, who exactly would they employ?

for the record, i have been an employee (though usually i end up being asked to be a manager) as well as an employer. at present i manage a 16 unit apartment building, for which i receive a free one bedroom apartment and garage in return. additionally, i paint sets for tv shows, and paint houses, apts, restaurants etc., hang drywall, even do plumbing, haul trash and do demo, even drive an elderly attorney to court and the jail, and despite these efforts, i have seen my income go from $50k to about $15k. so don't tell me (and lots of other struggling people i know) that we are overextended, lazy losers. the pie is getting smaller, and more people want pieces. be thankful for what you have, but don't think that people are struggling cause they're not trying. (unless it makes you feel better - which it seems to.)
Well said!
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.