View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 01:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
What is funny about people losing jobs?

The county school corp here is laying off 20% of its staff in the fall, at least they have given pink slips to that many.

This kind of draconian cuts are simply unprecedented in the field of teaching.

My Mrs. is in the city school corp which is separate and through foresight have avoided the drastic cuts by careful planning when they knew the economy would affect the tax collection in the next year or two. My mrs. is about #13 in seniority out of 400 or so teachers so will not under any circumstances face a lay off.
This is a great case for vouchers.

The government run schools - for the most part - are inherently run inefficiently. We don't hear about the private schools "laying-off." Not to say that they aren't experiencing difficulties - but I have no love lost for governemnt run schools anywhere. Only because of their inefficiency -as they are an arm of the government. And it's now abundantly clear that government is a black hole of red ink.

I was fortunate enough to attend District 66 schools in Omaha, NE as a lad for many years. District 66 was and is still the creme de la creme of government run public schools in Omaha. If I had kids and lived in Omaha - I would be certain that they attended them.