View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 08:05 AM
dieselarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe View Post
This is a great case for vouchers.

The government run schools - for the most part - are inherently run inefficiently. We don't hear about the private schools "laying-off." Not to say that they aren't experiencing difficulties - but I have no love lost for governemnt run schools anywhere. Only because of their inefficiency -as they are an arm of the government. And it's now abundantly clear that government is a black hole of red ink.

I was fortunate enough to attend District 66 schools in Omaha, NE as a lad for many years. District 66 was and is still the creme de la creme of government run public schools in Omaha. If I had kids and lived in Omaha - I would be certain that they attended them.

Before we had public schools only rich people were educated. I guess if you favor that system we have a fundamental disagreement about opportunity for all.

I think the public schools are the backbone of our egelatarian society. Are they perfect? No. But the private schools for the most part attract the creme de la creme of the students so their scores look good by comparison.

In Lafayette we are blessed with three excellent public school systems. For those who can afford it we also have a couple of very good religeous schools available.
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.