View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 10:42 AM

Have you been able to get the mechanic on the phone about this new failure?

These acts of god as the shop called it do happen, but that does not change the fact that the engine blew up again, and immediately after it was supposed to be rebuilt.

I had a situation once where I was replacing the glow plugs on a 2000 TDI for a customer, and the threads were destroyed on one cylinder since the glow plug had been cross threaded to begin with. I went in to carefully chase the threads of the hole, but I broke the tap off!
I pulled all the little pieces of the tap out that I could get, but I was not completely sure, so I had to pull the head and inspect the cylinder.

I come to find out that at some point in the cars life, the turbo had exploded and damaged two of the pistons and cylinders. It had been repaired by the dealer, who had picked all loose debris out of the cylinder, left the pistons in with dozens of little hot spots, charged the guy for a new head and new pistons, and sent him out the door.

When I found all this existing damage and showed the owner, he would not believe that it was not me who had caused this problem, even though the car had not been run after the tap broke off.

We ended up replacing his timing belt for him, and putting it all back together with new parts for free. We left the damaged pistons as well, we just redid all upper end stuff. The moral of the story is that **** happens, and these guys will have to be responsible for this new failure, BUT, it may not be their fault as they say. Does not change what it owed to you as the customer.

The fault could and probably lies with the machine shop, who may have used old stuff, or mis installed or machined this or that. The auto shop would receive a machined head and simply install it correctly with the assumption that the machine shop knew what it was doing. Many times, a mechanic who knows everything about how to put the engine together, may not be qualified to double check a machine shops work, and why should they double check?
Part of using a machine shop is farming out the labor to an expert. Its time involved as well. When you are sending something out to a shop, you are paying for the luxury of not having to put that time into that part of it. There is no point if you then have to go completely through it when it returns. They probably gave it a once over looking for bends, breaks, or damage.

A head is as complex as a transmission, and arrived as one unit. When a replacement tranny arrives, the auto shop does not take it apart to check tolerances, and does not really inspect it for anything other than large obvious problems. They probably got just a screwed as the vehicles owner.

My theory is that the machine shop used the wrong specs for this head a couple times.