View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
Before we had public schools only rich people were educated. I guess if you favor that system we have a fundamental disagreement about opportunity for all.

I think the public schools are the backbone of our egelatarian society. Are they perfect? No. But the private schools for the most part attract the creme de la creme of the students so their scores look good by comparison.

In Lafayette we are blessed with three excellent public school systems. For those who can afford it we also have a couple of very good religeous schools available.
Government run schools are somewhat like unions - their time of relevance and domination in America has come and gone. However, as I can attest to - many government run schools have the best product going in many regions. Of course, I do believe we need government run schools. But we also need vouchers for the parents.

That said, I am four-square skeptical of the discipline and product offered by religious run schools. I had a terrible run in one from 1st grade through the 6th grade. The totalitarian way the school was run that I attended was sickening. As a kid - your vote doesn't usually count with your parents. The education this religious school was putting out was not one iota better than the Distirict 66 schools in Omaha, that my parents thankfully enrolled me in in 7th grade. My older Brother attended religious education K through 12, and today is a staff PH D with the Veterans Affairs hospital system - for 30+ years. He stated the same as I about the school he and I attended - many years later when we were grown adults.