View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 08:58 AM

The original tierod ends on my car had no boots left and were very sloppily loose. Obviously in need of replacement.
The new ones were quite tight and easily held out straight in a horizontal position.
When I removed the new ones to reboot them they still held straight and although the grease in the outer tierods was funky, they still would move smoothly, with some effort.
So, I figure, if they are tight and smoothly operating, they are still ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbeam View Post
A shop told me that i needed to replace the outer tie rods and shocks before I can get a good alignment performed. SO I went andpurchased these parts thinking that if anything was on the brik of needing to be replaced then they would have quoted me the part. Well I took one outer tie rod off and the inner Tie rod feels very loose. I thought that if these were good that they would stand up by themselves horizontally that is. Is this correct? Now Im pissed because I needed the car this weekend and it will take a couple of days should I need to purchase two new inner tie rods.

Is there a definite way to test an inner Tie rod with the wheel/tire off the car?

2004 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed 300k -still driven daily