View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggle Dog View Post
I had a spare that was near new (and made in Germany) but needed a new gasket.
Any parts house has generic gasket material in different thicknesses they sell by the foot. You can just trace out the gasket using the old gasket, water pump, our pump housing, then simply cut with scissors, hole punches, or whatever.

Quote:
What a pain the air conditioning makes the car to work on!
X2

Plus they draw a lot of power and add weight to the car, reducing performance.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the car is starting to smoke badly. I hardly noticed it at first, but now it fogs up the neighborhood when I start the car and it is like driving a locomotive on the freeway because it is always spewing smoke. The car has lots of power and runs well, but I'm not sure what to think of the smoke. The previous owner said the engine was rebuilt 4,000 miles ago (probably not true), and I have adjusted the valves and changed the fuel filters. I think that the fuel injectors may be worn out. I hope the engine isn't worn out.
Does it smoke only during acceleration, when cold, when hot, during steady speed driving, or other? Does it clatter a lot? If it is just during acceleration, there is a full load adjustment screw that will likely take care of the problem. This limits how much fuel the engine gets a full open throttle. It is located at the rear of the pump behind the support bracket and below the vacuum diaphragm chamber. Turning the screw in 1/4 to 1/2 turn will likely solve the smoke problem during acceleration. Doesn't take much adjustment to make a difference.