View Single Post
Old 07-28-2002, 01:42 PM

Haasman,

It came apart relatively easy. Looking at it initially, I thought I would pay someone to do it, but I started unbolting and end up pulling the whole thing apart, including removing the lower spring perch to replace the inboard bushing. I figured I might as well since I have it this far apart. Unbolting all the arms is easy, BUT you will need an air wrench to get the axle nut off (took about 10 minutes to get it to budge). Access to the bolts/nuts behind the splash sheild is impossible, so you have to remove the parking brake to remove the allen bolts that secure the shield to the hub. This way you can rotate the shield to get the openning to the various bolts. Shield can not be removed without removing the axle flange.

MY SUGGESTION!!! The bushing pressed out pretty easy. I would attempt to press it out with a big C clamp and a similar (O.D.) socket WITHOUT completely removing it from the car. This should be able to completed in less than a few hours.

In order to get the hub in a press, you have to remove the splash shield, otherwise you will crush it. The only way is to hammer the flange off the hub (per manual). Took about 20 minutes of POUNDING with a sledge. Ended up destoying the seal for the rear wheel bearing (DOOOOAAHHH, my best Homer Simpson!) but there is no other way to get it off. Its a tight press fit. It will now have to wait until Monday night so I can get parts from the dealer.

BTW, I pulled up to a light the other night and heard the 300e next to me make the EXACT same noise. I now know what`s in his future. It must be a common problem as the original part has been superseded and this part sits down in the perch and collects/receives all the road grime.

Good luck.

Tinker