View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 03:17 PM
...like a shield of steel

Home made (not very NASA) wooden hub press

Any NASA engineer would probably spit if he saw this but I'm a fan of wood and tape!

Firstly I positioned two chunky bits of wood either side of the hub - in between the hub and the trailing arm. I chose to position them close to the brake caliper mounts and the on the opposite side as they look like the strongest points - I didn't want to damage the dust shield.

I didn't do anything too fancy - as I didn't know if it would work - I just cut some wood to length and found some M12 threaded bar, nuts and washers (You need some wide ones to spread the load and to stop the nuts from burying themselves in the cheap soft wood)

I PUT SOME GREASE ON THE M12 THREADS (this helps)

And tightened the nuts on either side of the hub. One part is reacting against the end of the hub where the retaining nut was positioned. The other end reacts through the wacky wood construction onto the trailing arm.

This is one up close it looks like the hub is touching the wood - it is close but not actually touching - it needs to slide out of the trailing arm.

I had to stop and pack in some other bits of wood so that the hub didn't grind up against the cheap chunky wood.

Here is proof that the hub will pop out after tightening the nuts on either end of the threaded bar.

And here is picture of the retaining nut end