View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 05:45 AM
...like a shield of steel

Go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel911 View Post
Neat Job and great pics.

Send a pic of the Hub being pressed of with your Wooden Press to Mercedes. I bet they would get a kick out of it.

I have a cracked Trailing Arm that I removed; in my Garage somewhere and about 3 weeks ago I got a hold of a used Pin Wrench.
I want to salvage the Bearings and Hub from it.
If you use a slide hammer or the Brake Rotor to beat the hub out I have read you damage one of the Bearings.
With your Wooden Press I think the Hub can be removed with out Bearing Damage so when the time comes I will try your method!
Go for it - I can't see any damage on my bearings.

I forgot to mention above - don't worry if the hub spins whilst you are tightening the two nuts on the threaded bar. I stopped for a second and had to scratch my head: it doesn't make any difference. I found that as you tighten the nuts on your threaded bar (home made press) the hub spins as it get tighter and then it stops just before the stiction of the interference fit gives way and the hub jolts along a little way out of the trailing arm assembly. Keep tightening the threads - WITH GREASE! - and the same happens again and may be again until the hub comes free.

Best of luck.

I'll show my method of reinstalling the hub - and for kicks I'm going to try and do it off of the car (How will I stop the wheel spinning? Just wait and see!).

This will be in a few days time - I'm waiting for parts and I want to do a full clean up de-rust and repaint of the trailing arms first.