View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
After I had a windshield changed on my old Honda I turned on the fan to de-mist and got showered in glass - driving with bugs in your teeth seems to me to be the better option!

Strange how it is so sticky though. Most of the blower motors I've taken apart are dusty not sticky. Is a bearing throwing out grease? Has a previous owner "greased it" to stop squeaking?
This is the first time I have taken apart a Blower Motor.
It has a Spherical type Bearing on the end in the pic; made from a powdered Bronze type material that can be saturated with Oil (Oilite bearing).
There is a Felt washer under the Metal Retaining disk that was supposed to be saturated with Oil that I guess the Bearing is supposed to draw Oil from. There is no seal to prevent dirt from getting between the bearing and the shaft and that sticky stuff was around the Motor Shaft.

Also at the rear of the Motor is a hole that a Rubber Tube attaches to for cooling. The Blower air pushes into the housing towards the interior of the Van and part of that Air goes back into that tube. This means things that get into the housing can get pushed into the motor.

Other than that I do not know why or what caused the buildup inside.

It is cleaned and I will put it back on tomorrow (going to try to fix a Relative’s Washer to day); but a new motor is only $20 locally and I was tempted to just buy one.