View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 06:20 PM

Since my last post here, I sold my second 240D and acquired a much-nicer nearly rust-free navy-blue 240D. It came with it's original black-face Becker Europa cassette-radio and 4 original speakers. The cassette player's speed was erratic and audio-power was weak. So I found a vintage Japanese Blaupunkt BMW cassette-radio at the Pick-N-Pull for $10. The Blaupunkt has the round on-off-volume and tuning knobs, though the tuning isn't mechanical like what the Becker had. Cassette performance is fine and, while not cutting-edge, the added power has much improved the sound quality, even with the original speakers. If this radio doesn't last, I saved the Blaupunkt Singapore, from the 240D I sold, as a backup.

Something I have found, when working with the relatively small W123 factory speakers, is that replacement 2 or 3 way speakers tend to have the bass drowned out by the mid and high-range drivers. This was the case with the 2-way 5-inch Pioneers I installeed in the rear shelf of my first 240D.
So a good, simple full-range speaker may actually sound a bit better in this case, than the multi-way units.

As for a tastefully styled modern radio, I believe Kenwood used to sell a unit with a flip out control panel, that flipped closed when shut down to display a clean, unmarked black rectangle. Don't know if those are still availble, or even desireable now.

Happy Motoring, Mark