View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 09:42 PM

The MB FSM on AC warns against using the site glass for this procedure.
SLOWLY adding freon while checking the temperature at the vents is pretty safe since it will run just fine many ounces less than maxed out...you do not want even one ounce over or it will cause your system to be overworked in short order.
So that ' RANGE' was not being imprecise... but being honest... and safe....Also, sometimes the total volume of a system is change by things like which condensor,etc was installed... so giving that Range of amounts of refrigerant was proper.
I would suggest when having to add with no way to measure weight.. that some means of forcing air into the front of the radiator/condenser is needed... like a squirrel cage fan... right up at the front of the car...
By slowly... I mean once the system has enough charge to stay operating... to keep the cutout switch from cutting out... then a couple of ounces added at a time then STABILIZE for 15 minutes at high idle WITH that forced air at the front...
Once your temps in the center vents with the fan on LOW... get to anywhere near 40 degrees I would stop and enjoy the cool air.