View Single Post
Old 08-02-2002, 09:59 AM

Question Considering my 1st diesel with 3 questions

I have looked for a while for a 300E. Found a few that were nice and one I'd have bought but it got sold. Anyway, I am considering a diesel. I have never owned one in my life. I am fairly mechanical and did almost all my own work on my 944 for years. I have found a nice 87 300D with only 140,000 and the asking price is $5950. As a general question, I assume this is not a turbo diesel? I haven't seen it so I don't know.

Now for my 3 questions:
1) does the 300D suffer form the same a/c problms of the 300E? The hard to get to so high labor cost of the condenser? The a/c system is the weakest part of the 300E.

2) Is the oil change and tranny fluid/seal change something I can do myself? and what is the oil capacity?

3) what years were the turbo motors used and is there a website that lists specifications for length? A 300E fits nicely into my garage while the SE and SEL models are a bit long. The SEL at 208" is simply too long and the SE at 202" is a real tight fit. That's why I settle don the 300E at 187-189" I forget which.

Thanks.

Oh, and if any of you care to enlighten me as to your general ownership experience I'd welcome it. My e-mail is Ronald.Brooks@aig.com

Ron Brooks