View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 10:09 PM

W126 rear-end "squat" on acceleration?

My mother has my old W126. Its a 1988 300SEL (LWB) sedan. I never noticed it when driving, but the other day I was behind my mother ( she was driving the Merc) and I noticed that when she would pull out that the car would "squat" down and the front would raise substantually. I could really see this when she would pull out and make a turn and I could see the car from the side on acceleration. I think my other W126 did this, so maybe its normal... in fact, I have seen many W126 do this.

I read though that the W126 supposed to have "anti-squat" bars, but dont seem to work unless these do something else. Is this pretty much normal on the W126 chassis or is something in order? It does not bottom out or anything and ride smooth, though the back seems floaty sometimes. I was behind a "gen 2" W126 (420SEL) the other day and it was really squated down in the back and the tops of the rear tires were leaning way in. A very old couple was driving it... I see them quite often actually. Its identical to our W126, save ours is a 300SEL and that one is a 420SEL.

Thanks.