View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 08:41 PM

Coolant Leak Back of Engine

Flushed the cooling system first with straight water several times, then used Shout mixed with water to de-oil. Rinsed thoroughly and then did citric acid flush. I started the ’81 240D/manual trans. and let run for 10 minutes, shut off and took a quick shower. I came back out, and went for a short drive first stopping to put a few gallons of diesel in the tank. I left the car running and went to pay. When I returned to the car a fellow motorist spotted some green liquid pouring from the bottom of the 240D. I was less than a mile from home so watching the temp. gauge carefully, I limped her home and shut her down. I watched with a puzzled look on my face as a greenish liquid continued to pour from the back of the engine where the transmission mounts. I cracked the radiator cap and stood back as steam and pressure poured from it. I went to church and let the car cool. When I returned, I pulled the engine block drain plug, radiator drain plug and flushed the system through the upper radiator hose until the water ran clear. Replaced drain plugs, and now when I pour any water through the upper radiator hose, it leaks out from the back of the engine. I pulled a small metal cover plate held by two 10mm bolts on the front of the tranny and had my wife pour a small amount of water into hose. The water almost immediately comes out where the cover plate attaches. I know this is a long post, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible. Any suggestions are much appreciated.