Thread: Wire ID
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 01:52 PM

A trip to the dealer$hip was very informative.

The wire from the alt is the single one that leads to the center pole of the 3-pole connector. that wire seems fine - i am hoping the low voltage is due to the shorting at the 3-pole connector preventing the current from making back to the battery.

The 4 strand wire is the harness for the ACC. It also connects to the drier, compressor, and the fuse box. Not indicated in the schematic, but it must be #8.

Cost of the harness alone (no connector included) = $875

So I called a salvage yard and they will sell me both the harness and connector for $100.

So I will head there later this week and get a harness. I imagine it will be a bit of a bear to rewire that. Hopefully I can get to all the places I need with the dash still in place, but we will see.

Soooo...that part is one of those things that MB contracts to unicorns, and replacement with a new harness is almost not worth the value of the car - considering that I am not sure why it melted in the first place, and whether the replacement will do the same!

Has anyone here replaced this harness before? Haven't found any links in searches.

Current Mercedes
1979 maple yellow 240D 4-speed

Gone and fondly remembered:
1980 orient red 240D 4-speed

Gone and NOT fondly remembered:
1982 Chna Blue 300TD

Other car in the stable:
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI / 6-speed MT